Orangutan Foundation International Australia (OFI Australia) was established in 2013 by Founder and Director, Kobe Steele.
Our mission is to support and continue the orangutan and forest conservation efforts initiated by Dr Birute Mary Galdikas and Orangutan Foundation International (OFI) in Kalimantan, Borneo. Dr Galdikas, who is Patron and a Board Member of OFI Australia, is an internationally renowned environmentalist, anthropologist and orangutan expert.
OFI supports the conservation, protection, and understanding of orangutans and their rainforest habitat in Borneo, while caring for and rehabilitating ex-captive orangutans for release back into the wild.
Our vision is to be a wildlife charity of choice for Australians.
- Trust, integrity and transparency.
- All species have the right to live safely and securely within their natural environment.
- People, animals and the environment are all interconnected.
- Commitment to sustainable conservation.
- Education and awareness will empower our supporters.
- The power-of-one to make positive change
Community Service Commercial for OFI Australia
Our core campaigns
OFI Australia has two core campaigns; caring for orphaned and displaced orangutans at the OFI Care Centre and Quarantine in Central Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo; and, securing habitat for their future release.
By supporting OFI Australia you are helping to preserve orangutans, along with the other endangered, threatened, displaced or vulnerable species of wildlife that share their tropical rainforest habitat.
Specifically, your support will help us to:
- care for and rehabilitate more than 330 orphaned orangutans and other endangered wildlife at our Care Centre and Quarantine facility, and ensure their successful return to the wild,
- maintain Camp Leakey and its scientific research,
- patrol more than one million acres of forest habitat to prevent illegal logging, mining, poaching, and encroachment by palm oil plantations,
- restore degraded forest areas through tree planting, and protect orangutan habitat through land purchases,
- support conservation outreach and education, and
- protect the world’s largest remaining wild orangutan population from extinction.
Read more about our achievements
About Orangutan Foundation International